During my review queue time I had the opportunity to review the new hpcc
charm. The hpcc charm deploys an instance of HPCC (High Performance
Computing Cluster) Community Edition that is a Big Data platform alternate
to Hadoop.
http://hpccsystems.com/products-and-services/products/community-edition

 The charm is available in the personal name space here:
http://manage.jujucharms.com/~xwang2713/precise/hpcc

 First and most importantly the hpcc charm deploys according to the readme
file! I had to increase the memory constraints on the HP-cloud to 4GB per
machine (juju set-constraints mem=4GB) so all the services had enough
memory to start up. After that I was able to cluster by adding units of
hpcc.

 In the end the charm was unable to pass review because some of the
configuration options were immutable, meaning the values did not change
after the charm was created. When I changed some configuration values, they
were not acted upon by the charm and that breaks the Juju user experience.
When a user changes a configuration value they expect the charm to act upon
those changes.

 I bring this up so future charm authors know to avoid immutable
configuration when creating a charm. There are exceptions to every rule,
but immutable configuration are only in extreme cases of data integrity
where there are no other options. A good way to avoid immutable
configuration is to have the configuration options are processed by the
config-changed hook.

 We did not have very good documentation about immutable configuration so I
opened a pull request against the Juju docs with more detail about this
problem. The change was merged and will show up on the Best Practices page
when the documentation processing completes.
https://juju.ubuntu.com/docs/authors-charm-best-practice.html

   - Matt Bruzek <matthew.bru...@canonical.com>