I have to disagree slightly, currently (and thankfully?) the current way
most charm-helpers aim to be included in charms is by embedding a working
snapshot of that version of charm-helpers. So merging this wouldn't affect
a huge number of charms, instead maybe the 5 or 6 at most that download
from pypi and of those none may actual be broken. As we rethink the
distribution model for charm-helpers (making it a debian package, having
actual releases, etc) this would certainly become a larger concern. The
changes look good at my cursory check, and I hope to review in more detail
later this week.

That said I just wanted to point out that I don't think a change, even as
"drastic" as this would have a huge effect on the ecosystem. As charm
authors sync charm-helpers they'll end up in our testing environment and
should be caught then.

Marco