Hi all,

I spent some time this week reviewing a charm, and have some questions
about some of the Charm Store Policy requirements. I want to make sure I
understand these requirements well enough to explain them to people
who's charms I review, and to be able to give them direction on how they
can bring their charms in line with the policy. I also want to make sure
that if someone else reviews the same charm I review they come to the
same conclusions as I do. Some of these have been discussed some already
on #juju@freenode, but it was suggested I post them here too; I would
appreciate any thoughts you have on this!

"Must follow the spirit of the Ubuntu Philosophy."
As applied to a charm I think this essentially boils down to the charm
only containing free and open source software, and not doing anything
nefarious. But, it should be acceptable for a charm to install non-free
software from a location outside of the charm itself, as long it's clear
up front, right?

"Must also be valid for the charm and/or bundle format defined in Juju's
documentation."
I think this means that to be in the charm store, the software needs to
be a charm or a bundle - not just some arbitrary piece of code like you
can stick in a bzr repo.  Is that right?

"Should make use of AppArmor to increase security."
I read this is a recommendation, not a requirement, because of the
"should". However, it's not clear what the intent is. It would be nice
if there was guidance we could point to here on how charms should deal
with apparmor. I think it's usually handled by packaging, and a charm
shouldn't need to deal with it if it is. Are there cases where a charm
does need to do something with apparmor, even if the package does? When
developing a charm for software without apparmor enabled packaging, what
are the recommendations?

"Must include tests for trusty series and any series afterwards. Testing
is defined as unit tests, functional tests, or integration tests."
Does "any series" mean any LTS or does it include non LTS releases too?
 Is this saying that if tests are included, they must support Trusty and
future releases? Or is it ok to leave tests out altogether? If tests are
required, is there a minimum standard of coverage? Is verifying the
service is pingable after deploying it enough, or does it need to
exercise features?

Thanks,
Jason