Hey Ken,

So I had a closer look to your Spark problem and found out what went wrong.

The charm available on the charmstore is trying to download Spark 1.0.2,
and the versions available on the Apache website are 1.1.0, 1.1.1 and
1.2.0.

There is another version of the charm available on GitHub that actually
will deploy 1.2.0

1. On your computer, the below folders & get there:

cd ~
mkdir charms
mkdir charms/trusty
cd charms/trusty

2. Branch the Spark charm.

git clone https://github.com/Archethought/spark-charm spark

3. Deploy Spark from local repository

juju deploy --repository=~/charms local:trusty/spark spark-master
juju deploy --repository=~/charms local:trusty/spark spark-slave
juju add-relation spark-master:master spark-slave:slave

Worked on AWS for me just minutes ago. Let me know how it goes for you.
Note that this version of the charm does NOT install the Spark examples.
The files are present though, so you'll find them in
/var/lib/juju/agents/unit-spark-master-0/charm/files/archive

Hope that helps...
Let me know if it works for you!

Best,
Sam