On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 7:44 PM Rick Harding <rick.hard...@canonical.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:08 PM Simon Davy
>
>> I don't know where we are at with the resources work, but maybe that
>> could have a part to play here?
>>

> This is exactly what I wanted to bring up for discussion. This work is
> about to start at the end of this month/start of next. It sounds like
> there's something here to building a wheel and using it as a resource and
> letting the charm pull the correct wheel based on the unit architecture.
>
> The harder part is how to get those built and upload to the store as
> resources. Marco, can you work with Simon on the start of a spec and let's
> start to look through some ideas on how to handle this.
>
> I do want to say the wheel based work is great. The UI Engineering team
> has done it and it's sped things up immensely. However, in their work
> there's only one architecture targeted so the wheels are all pre-built and
> only for one platform. To have truly reusable charms (big data on power and
> amd64 and ...) we need to think through this much closer to a PPA-like
> approach than building on the units, especially as we're working so hard to
> get deployment times down when charms get placed on units.

I'd be happy to help work on a spec and follow up with the team working on
resources. I do want to mention though that these wheel/dep embedded in the
charms is more resources/deps needed for hook execution and less workload
dependencies/resources. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or if the
distinction is worth discussing further.

Marco