Matt,

For the charm in question, I would think adding the sha1sum check to the
process would be sufficient, especially in the scenario that the binary is
being self-hosted for the purposes of installing it via the charm.

Adam Israel - Software Engineer
Canonical Ltd.
http://juju.ubuntu.com/ - Automate your Cloud Infrastructure