Hello Shurthima,

Thanks for reaching out to the Juju list. The layered approach is the way
to write all new charms. We do recommend that you use the basic layer when
creating a new base level feature such as IBM Installation Manager. To do
that the layer.yaml should look like this:

includes: ['layer:basic']

As far as interface, I would have to know more about what services IBM IM
can use or interact with. If IBM IM can talk to a database it should have a
database relation. If the product has an web interface it should implement
the http interface. You as the author knows the product better than I
would. Interface layers make it very easy to use juju interfaces.

We have some documentation about how to write layered charms, for more
information please read:

https://jujucharms.com/docs/devel/developer-getting-started

Please email the list if you have any more specific questions.  Thanks!

   - Matt Bruzek <matthew.bru...@canonical.com>