On 8 March 2016 at 05:24, Marco Ceppi <marco.ce...@canonical.com> wrote:
> This is definitely more an operator decision than a charm decision. There
> are two existing charms to address this. An unattended-upgrades charm and
> landscape-client. Check those out first to see if the fit your needs.
>
> Marco

I've been toying with the idea of a package upgrade action in the apt
layer. It would unhold held packages if necessary, set state giving
your handlers the opportunity for pre/post upgrade hooks (like
shutting daemons down and restarting them), run apt-get dist-upgrade,
and rehold packages if necessary. This would require implementing
action support into charms.reactive, which has been discussed a bit on
github.

Landscape takes care of most day to day updates, but the most
important packages tend to get held to ensure unattended upgrades
don't take down the service.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bis...@canonical.com>