On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 10:03 PM Bruno Ranieri <br...@quobyte.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Bruno,

I am working on charms for the Quobyte Storage System. These charms make
> use of the Juju Storage support,
> but unfortunately juju storage does not behave as expected:
>
> In my charms block-type storage is defined (metadata.yaml):
>
>> [...]
>> storage:
>>   registry-storage:
>>     type: block
>>     minimum-size: 10G
>>     multiple:
>>       range: '1'
>>

> When I deploy this charm to ec2 I assume that juju will create an
> ebs-volume [1].
> What it does instead is creating a loop-device?

The command line arguments for storage a little bit (too?) subtle. If you
don't specify any constraints for a store, then you'll get "loop" for
block-type, and "rootfs" for filesystem-type stores.

If you want to get the provider's default, you need to specify at least one
constraint for the store. For example, say you want an EBS volume of 10G.
You would deploy with "--storage registry-storage=10G". For the ec2
provider, this will allocate an EBS volume of 10GiB.

After 'juju switch amazon' and 'juju bootstrap' [2] my storage pool is
> initialized to
>
>> ubuntu@bruno:~$ juju storage pool list
>> ebs-ssd:
>>   provider: ebs
>>   attrs:
>>     volume-type: ssd
>>

> When deploying this charm
>
>> ubuntu@bruno:~$ juju deploy --repository=. local:quobyte-registry
>> Added charm "local:trusty/quobyte-registry-1" to the environment.

Try one of the following:
    (1) juju deploy --repository=. local:quobyte-registry --storage
registry-storage=10G
    (2) juju deploy --repository=. local:quobyte-registry --storage
registry-storage=ebs
    (3) juju deploy --repository=. local:quobyte-registry --storage
registry-storage=ebs-ssd

(1) will allocate the provider's native volume type (if the provider has
one; otherwise loop), of at least 10GiB
(2) will allocate an EBS magnetic volume with the store's minimum size
(3) will allocate an EBS SSD volume with the store's minimum size

> already the agent deployment fails with:
>
>> $ juju debug-log --replay
>> [...]
>> machine-1[14401]: 2016-04-05 12:06:01 ERROR juju.worker runner.go:223
>> exited "deployer": cannot create agent
>> config dir "/var/lib/juju/agents/unit-quobyte-registry-0": mkdir
>> /var/lib/juju/agents/unit-quobyte-registry-0: no space left on device
>>

> Debugging into the deployed machine (and ec2-console) shows that no
> ebs-volume was created but an image on the local disk:
>
>> $ juju ssh 1
>> ubuntu@ip-x.y.z.a:~$ df -h
>> Filesystem                          Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> udev                                1.9G   12K  1.9G   1% /dev
>> tmpfs                               375M  204K  375M   1% /run
>> /dev/disk/by-label/cloudimg-rootfs  7.8G  7.8G     0 100% /
>> none                                4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
>> none                                5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
>> none                                1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /run/shm
>> none                                100M     0  100M   0% /run/user
>> /dev/xvdb                           3.9G  8.1M  3.7G   1% /mnt
>>

> I'm aware that it is possible to control the storage usage during
> service-deploment on the command-line
> using '--storage registry-storage=ebs', but I do not think that this is
> the correct solution? Currently I am working on tests
> for the 'juju test' -runner. There I cannot hard-wire storage to ebs,
> since these tests should be independent form a specific provider.

Right, so as above, you'll just need to specify the size and let Juju take
care of determining the appropriate storage provider.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Andrew

Any ideas what is possible wrong I my setup?