On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 12:17 AM Marco Ceppi <marco.ce...@canonical.com>
wrote:

> If it's acceptable to do so, I'll propose changes to charmhelpers and
>> charms.reactive at some point. It would be nice to be able to have a core
>> set of Python helpers that work on all platforms.
>>

> I think instead it'd be better to break some of the charm
> helpers.core.hookenv methods to a simpler, streamlined, charms.juju or
> charms.hooktools where it is _just_ the juju hook-tools and nothing more.
> It's something we've talked about these last few months in ecosystems/juju
> list but haven't quite had the time to flesh out.

This SGTM as long as what's split out is enough for charms.reactive. There
should be no false impressions of full compatibility then, but enough to
provide a nice experience, and familiarity for those charming software for
other operating systems.

So what I would imagine is:
 - a core set of platform-independent helpers, say charms.juju
(charms.core?)
 - charms.reactive, which depends on charms.juju/core/whatever, also
platform-independent
 - the "basic" layer, which knows how to bootstrap the above on Ubuntu,
CentOS, and Windows
 - all the rest of the charmhelpers in separate package(s), which may be
platform-specific

Cheers,
Andrew