I'm quite surprised to see an 'agent-state: stopped' and life: dead with an
'agent-status: ... executing'.
If the agent really is dead, then there is nothing for the hooks to run on.
Is this particular unit (nrpe/20) running on a machine that has other
services running on it, or was it the last thing on the machine. I believe
'juju destroy-machine --force' is able to clean up all of the units/etc
that had been placed onto a machine (its used for the case where you
actually stopped the machine via some other means, and there is nothing
left that can run any cleanup steps.)

John
=:->