I do not understand how this works. Could someone with knowledge of how
jujud on a  controller communicates with jujud agents on units describe how
that is done?

My limited understanding must be wrong give that James has this working.

This is what I thought:

On most cloud providers: add-machine instructs the cloud provider to start
a new instance and the cloud-config passed to cloud-init includes how to
download jujud agent and run it and configure it with public key trust of
the juju controller.

On manually added machine: same thing only instead of cloud-init and
cloud-config an ssh connection is used to perform the same commands.

I had thought the juju controller was initiating the ssh-connection to the
address given in the add-machine command and that a non-internet routable
address would simply not work as the controller cannot open any TCP
connection to it. This is where my understanding stops.

Please, anyone, describe how this works?
--
Jay