Sorry, after hitting send I woke up some more and realized what you're
asking. Only the Juju client on your machine is in the snap. The controller
and models need to be manually upgraded. We don't deliver those and auto
upgrade them as a snap.

The proper upgrade doc for the 2.4.0 series is here:
https://docs.jujucharms.com/2.4/en/models-upgrade

Start with the controller and you should be good to go.