I think a new Python interpreter session might not be the closest comparison
for Julia since Python loads almost nothing by default, whereas Julia imports a
ton of functionality by default. R is much more like Julia in this regard.
Consistent with that hypothesis, on my machine, R uses 38 MB and Julia uses 41
MB. I suspect that Julia without most of its functionality could take up much
less memory.

 — John