We try to be helpful, and answer the questions as asked. We also provide
advice for improvements, if the question is likely to lead to a poor
program.

Julia gives you as a programmer lots of power, and if you don't follow
advice, you might end up in trouble.

If you change the internal representation of a string, you will run into
trouble in some parts of Julia, because we assume that strings are
immutable. If you never let other parts of Julia hold a reference to the
string while you are manipulating it, you should be alright.

eg.
a = Dict()
b = "hello"
a[b] = 1
b.data[5] = 'a'

will make the value in the dictionary inaccessible.

julia> a[b]
ERROR: key not found: "hella"
in getindex at dict.jl:586

julia> a["hello"]