I think it helps to distinguish in the license discussion build
dependencies and runtime dependencies.
As far as I can see:
- Core Julia, which consists of libjulia (statically linking libuv and
llvm) and the repl, are MIT licensed
- Base Julia has some GPL dependencies. But to get rid of them one just has
to remove the shared library and of course not use the functionality. It
seems only fftw and SuiteSparse are runtime GPL dependencies.