We talked at some point about making :"<R>" syntax for symbol("<R>") and
requiring something like :("<R>") to express the fairly useless operation
of quoting the string "<R>" (this is useless because the result is just the
string "<R>"). Barring some problem with this that I'm not thinking of, I'd
be in favor of such a change.