Have you checked the Vagrantfile (and README) in contrib/vagrant? I don't
exactly recall what all I ran into but I know I ended up relying on mostly
system packages, ran into the AVX thing with VirtualBox, and had to work
around the limitation that there are no symlinks in VirtualBox shared
folders.

None of these look like the problem you're having, but I want to make sure
you knew that it was there in case it's helpful.