It's a matter of taste – and the fact that we wanted Julia to feel familiar
in particular to Matlab users (and to a lesser extent Ruby users). I
personally don't like significant indentation. It gets really awkward and
fiddly when you're trying to cut and paste into a terminal or into an
editor. I've seen a significant number of live Python demos flounder as the
presenter struggled with indentation issues. It feels to me like Python
programs trail off into space with never-ending scopes. Jeff and Viral both
happen to feel similarly, so Julia ended up looking more like Matlab than
like Python.