Hi Thomas,

This is definitely a reasonable thing to want to do, and there are a number
of methods to differentiate through a matrix factorization. Julia doesn't
yet have a generic chol() method
(see https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/1629), but it does have a
generic LU decomposition method that works with DualNumbers. So if you
replace cholfact with lufact your code might just work. However, this won't
use LAPACK, and off-hand I'm not sure off hand if it's possible to
reformulate a Cholesky with dual numbers into something LAPACK knows how to
compute. There also might be some performance issues with your hand-written
Cholesky factorization, try:

function choldn!{T}(A::Matrix{T})

instead of

function choldn!(A::Array)