That is right. The Remez algorithm finds the minimax polynomial independent
of any given prior discretization of the function.

For discrete points you can apply LP or an "iteratively reweighted least
square" approach that for this problem converges quickly and is quite
accurate. Implementing it in Julia will only take a few lines of code.

See my discussion two years ago with Pedro -- from the *chebfun* project --
about why Remez is better than solving this problem as an optimization task:

http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/questions/1531/the-remez-algorithm

You'll see that the Remez algorithm gets it slightly better.