On Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:00:32 PM UTC-4, Florian Oswald wrote:

> well, I guess most computer scientists would be surprised. writing on a
> piece of paper
>
> -10^2
>
> and
>
> -(10^2)
>
> I think most people are going to say the first expression is 100 and the
> second is -100. I take the point that what I did was a bit stupid and Julia
> is not making any mistake here.

Note that in Fortran, Python, Matlab, and Mathematica, the exponentiation
operator has higher precedence than unary -, similar to Julia.   -10^2 in
WolframAlpha (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=-10%5E2) gives 100, and
WolframAlpha tries pretty hard to do natural-language interpretation of
mathematical expressions.

So, I'm not sure why computer scientists would be surprised.