In addition our lu calculates a partially pivoted lu and returns the L and
U matrices and the vector of permutations. To get something comparable in
MATLAB you'll have to write

[L,,U,p] = lu(A,'vector')

On my old Mac where Julia is compiled with OpenBLAS the timings are

MATLAB:
>> tic();for i = 1:10
[L,U,p] = qr(A, 'vector');
end;toc()/10