With the new static compilation capabilities (thanks Jeff, Keno, and
Jameson!) and the new compile=all option, Julia can generate a large
LLVM bitcode file using the following (in the devel version of Julia):

cd julia/base
mkdir ../tmp
../julia --build /home/tshort/julia/tmp --dump-bitcode=yes
--compile=all -J /home/tshort/julia/usr/lib/julia/sys.ji -f sysimg.jl

After that, you can compile functions from the julia/tmp/sys.bc
bitcode file to JavaScript with something like (find the names of
functions in sys.bc with: llvm-nm sys.bc):

cd ../tmp
emcc -v sys.bc  -o out.js -s EXPORTED_FUNCTIONS="['_julia_abs;104547']"

I've gotten individual functions like this to compile as well as pisum
from julia/test/perf/micro/perf.jl. In doing this, I've come across a
couple of items:

* The sys.bc needs to be a 32-bit build. I haven't managed that, yet.
The devel versions have been a bit goofed lately for 32-bit use.

   More info: https://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/issues/detail?id=3931

* The current Emscripten has a bug with some Julia-generated bitcode.

   More info: https://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/issues/detail?id=3932

I've managed to compile about 90% of libjulia using Emscripten. I had
to cut out most of the code related to libuv. Unfortunately, I haven't
gotten any code to compile that used libjulia. Although, I've gotten
90% of libjulia to compile, the missing 10% is called a lot. Still
more work to do there. My attempt involved hacking up the Makefiles. I
better attempt would involve making a new target to compile
libjulia.bc.

The bottom line is that I think this'll work someday, but it will take
some work.

Tom