On Friday, December 5, 2014 5:47:15 AM UTC-5, Páll Haraldsson wrote:

> On Friday, December 5, 2014 1:11:12 AM UTC, ivo welch wrote:
>>

>> there are no good web development language environments (server, browser)
>> IMHO, and julia will not fit this bill, either.
>>

> You are forgetting PHP :)
>
> All joking aside, you got me intrigued. If there is no good language, then
> what is it you want? Why is web-programming special? And wouldn't Julia be
> as least as good a fit (for server side) as any other language?
>
> For client side, I was thinking of writing a separate post on that. Julia
> could work..
>
> Is it a problem that you have separate languages on either side? Then
> Julia or any language wouldn't be perfect (until Julia works client side, I
> don't think JavaScript is better for server-side (than Julia) or best for
> non-web..).
>
> As for server side I had this crazy idea that Julia and PHP could be
> combined.. I'm not sure what the best way is to get people to stop using
> PHP and rewriting from scratch isn't good..

Nah, man, Javascript!  But of course I'm going to say that.

The main problems with PHP

It's not cool.
It's perceived as slow.

The language elements or lack of language elements can be argued, but those
things eventually get fixed so long as people remain interested.  I think
there is value in having the same language on both sides not for technical
reasons, but because mostly it promotes freedom and free flow of ideas, but
at the same time, only Sauron was able to fashion the One to Rule Them All,
and he was a villain. It's not all just a popularity contest either, but
that's part of it.  It's no good to have a perfect but unpopular language.
 And anyway who wants just one language for everything? too dull!