It seems to me that a lot of FAQs could be answered by a simple list of the
communities'/core developers' priorities. For example:

We care about module load times and static compilation, so that's going to
happen eventually. We care about package documentation, which is basically
done. We don't care as much about deterministic memory management or TCO,
so neither of those things are happening any time soon.

It doesn't have to be a commitment to releases or dates, or even be
particularly detailed, to give a good sense of where Julia is headed from a
user perspective.

Indeed, it's only the same things you end up posting on HN every time
someone complains that Gadfly is slow.