I believe this is so that you can do a sort of search through history – if
the cursor is after the letter "a" you'll find that you only go up through
lines beginning with "a".

FWIW, I really dislike this new behaviour as well. Aside from being less
convenient it breaks going back down; I can no longer press "down" to get
back to a blank line like I could before. Worse, if I go up to a multiline
statement I can no longer go back down at all.

Anyone know a way to turn this off?