I now see the description of hex float notation in section 4.2 (Floating
Point Numbers) of the manual (0.4.0-dev), which includes using "p" as
binary exponent notation.  I think that the error message could be improved,
at a minimum.  But there are problems with the current syntax that will
cause others to get caught too, I fear, such as:

*      julia> 3e+1*
*      30.0*

      *julia> 3e + 1*

*      9.154845485377136*

That is, the spaces around the "+" are significant here, as to whether "e"
is treated as the math constant or the floating point exponent notation...

I fear that "numeric literal coefficients" may introduce more hazards than
its economy of notation justifies... ??

Cheers,

Ron