Can you just use the DateTime type in Julia?

http://julia.readthedocs.org/en/latest/stdlib/dates/

This is in the development version of Julia. For a backwards-compatible
implementation for Julia 0.3, see:

https://github.com/quinnj/Dates.jl

If the DateTime type isn't suitable (for example, millisecond resolution),
you could possibly inherit from suitable types and still get more features
than you currently have.