Docker's extremely useful for some things, but also overkill here. It
sounds like Yudong (hi BTW, didn't know you used R at all) found a
perfectly good solution to the problem in the duplicated thread (probably
wasn't showing up immediately if the thread needed moderator approval)
at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/julia-users/rK6gSIM822w -
upgrade R to a version that is compatible with the same pcre version as
Julia. Wasn't really a problem with Julia so much as a problem with R not
having upper-bound constraints on its pcre version requirement.

-Tony