Thanks Tovio

> unless JString <: String (but I guess it isn't?).

No, indeed, JString is not a subtype of a Julia string. It is simply a
wrapper around a pointer. It has no string-like behaviour in Julia, other
than being able to be converted back and forth from a Julia string.

> it seems to me that your method can never be an identity conversion

 I could write a method definition such as

convert(::Type{JString}, str::JString) = str

I suppose that should be safe, but I don't understand why that should be
necessary, or what benefit it will have.