On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 5:23:40 PM UTC, Steven G. Johnson wrote:

> On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 1:12:00 PM UTC-4, Steven Sagaert wrote:
>>
>> That wasn't what I was saying. I like the philosophy behind julia. But in
>> practice (as of now) even in julia you still have to code in a certain
>> style if you want very good performance and that's no different than in any
>> other language.
>>

> The goal of Julia is not to be a language in which it is *impossible* to
> write slow code, or a language in which all programming styles are equally
> fast.   The goal (or at least, one of the goals) is to be an expressive,
> high-level dynamic language, in which it is also *possible* to write
> performance-critical inner-loop code.

*Summary*

Thanks (all) for answering. I agree that *possible* to write fast code is a
goal. I believe that has been achieved. Nobody commented much on my list of
concerns..

Yes, of course *impossible* to write slow code is a very high bar.. I just
thought Python - an interpreted language - wasn't a high bar :) I'm just
using that as a comparison. I would like (newbie) Julia code not be beaten
by (core language) Python. Or not at least by much (a constant factor). Has
that been achieved? I noticed the "yes/no" answer on "Any". Global no
longer a problem? Yes, gets you slow code but compared to Python?
Tuples/Dict now as fast? [I just noticed Named tuples thread.]

Then there are of course, say, Python libraries that are "faster" to
non-exciting Julia ones.. My hope is through PyCall you can use them all (I
understand that to be the case) - without speed penalty. We may still have
the two/N-language problem for a while, for functionality reasons but not
speed-reasons.. The dual Julia/Python is much preferred "problem" I think
to Julia/C or Python/C.. and gets you all the "batteries included" you
would want (speaking as a "non-math" user).

Great to see that strings are being worked on, I never wanted this thread
to be just about "one thing". I can now see how RefCounting in Python helps
strings.. I'm also looking into how to beat Python there..

That *is* different from other high-level languages, in which it is