I just noticed your sig... in a regulated environment I guess it is not
surprising if github is specifically filtered. Various ideas:

- git probably does not pick up Windows proxy server settings automatically
(whereas your web browser would). if you access the internet through a
proxy server, try configuring git to use it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/783811/getting-git-to-work-with-a-proxy-server
- It might be possible to run Windows Julia on your Mac under wine, install
the packages, and then copy the resulting folder to the firewalled system.
Haven't tried this myself.
- Find an external Windows system on which to run the installations, and
then copy everything to the internal system. Possibly EC2 or similar cloud
service will let you run a small instance for free for some period of time
(I haven't looked recently).