My gut reaction is that you should not even try to do this.  Here's other
# recommended
myrand() = rand() + 1

# if you really need to use rand
immutable MyUselessType end
Base.rand(::Type{MyUselessType}) = rand() + 1

What's your use case that you feel you need to do this?  You get into murky
territory trying to override such a core function.