On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 4:14:32 PM UTC-4, Brandon Taylor wrote:

> Ok, here's where I'm getting hung up. You said that the compiler figures
> out the creation/lifetime of all variables at compile time. So does that
> mean there's a list like:
>
> a maps to location 0 and exists from line 3 to line 9
> b maps to location 1 and exists from line 7 to line 9
> a maps to location 10 and exists from line 7 to 9?
>
> and that to map variables to locations on any particular line, the
> compiler works its way up the list,

Yes, more or less.

> This is perhaps even more helpful than the environment. The environment is
> immediately and completely determinable at any point in the program. This
> could make it possible to walk back in time even within the same scope.

Could you expand on what you're thinking of?

This kind of compile-time environment could conceivably be exposed to
macros. Common Lisp had proposals along that line (
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/clm/node102.html) but as far as
I can tell, it was too complicated and not useful enough, so it was
axed/neutered at some point in the standardization process.

> Hadley Wickham's lazyeval package in R is pretty cool in that you can
attach an environment to an expression, pass it in and out of functions
with various modifications, and then evaluate the expression within the
original environment

I don't know about R, but to me that sounds entirely doable with closures
(and macros will give you a nice syntax for it)