It has been my experience that, with an appropriate choice of data
structure and straightforward lines of code, Julia is better.
The Julia realization will be fast enough .. for the operations you need
2x-3x C, once the loop executes, and it is much less
hassle, and easier to maintain.  There are ways to do it wrong, and incur
uneeded overhead.
I defer to others to give you specific guidance.