Hmmmmm.......it's not entirely clear to me what we should do here.

On the one hand, when you ask to have the typemax(Date) formatted, it's
currently doing what you asked, "formatting the year with 4 digits".
Because your year in this case is greater than 4 digits, that results in
truncation, which probably isn't what you want. But is it ok to give you
all the digits even though you only asked for 4? I'd appreciate any other
thoughts/input on this.

I do think the Date/DateTime parsing/formatting code needs another once
over to polish it up, so any ideas on allowing more
flexibility/functionality would be appreciated.

-Jacob