That could be ok. I know Julia implementation is huge now, that is, with all the standards libraries (that are optional, at least the GPL ones, and if you want to hack more).

The core, needed parts, libjulia and libLLVM or whatever might, not be too big (by todays standards..). And you need those already installed as shared libraries (that you could bundle with?)? [This will still ty you to one architecture (say x86, not that there really many options either way), but so would say compiling C code.]

Maybe build_executable.jl doesn't bundle those libraries for you with your code (and just a better way too package is needed), but what is the point then? "doesn't require any julia source code", I guess applies to your own code, not the julia source of the implementation (and possibly not code in the standard libraries)?

--
Palli.