> I meant the remote machine/network may be firewalled to only accept
> incoming ssh, http and other known ports.

OK sorry. By now you can probably guess I don't really understand
networking.

Anyway I turned off the remote firewall entirely, and addprocs()
successfully added remote worker, Yippee!
Then I re-enabled the remote firewall and confirmed ssh server was enabled
through the firewall. But now addprocs() failed with wait error as before.
Definitely something to do with firewall blocking but seemingly not ssh
server. What to do?
After much playing around, and for some unknown but inspired reason (well,
for me anyway),  I decided to add Julia to allowed "apps" and Presto it
worked!
Not really sure why Julia wasn't in already in allowed list. I didn't need
do this on another network where it just worked out of the box.

In any case, for completeness and so it might help anyone else, here's what
I did:

Control Panel
Windows Firewall
Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall
(since Julia was not already in list)
Allow another app
Select Julia from list of applications, and click Add.