I want to perform an operation like the BLAS.gemm! operation with
multipliers α and β but for my own custom matrix type.  The name gemm! is
unsuitable because the ge part indicates general matrices.  I can, of
course, choose my own name for the generic but I thought I would ask if
there was already a name for such an operation.

In more detail, the BLAS.gemm! function returns the target, C, as C :=
 α*A*B + β*C where α and β are scalars. (You can also specify transpose or
not on A and/or B). The most common case is C := A*B, corresponding to  α =
1 and  β = 0 but other cases are possible and often convenient.