On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 8:58:01 PM UTC, Andrei Zh wrote:

> If you are looking for a best in the class libraries, you probably won't
> find many. This is implied by a simple fact that most such libraries had
> already been created in other languages by the time Julia was born.
> However, if you want something comparable to such best libraries, then I
> would stress the following areas (from my experience and highly
> subjectively, of course):
>
>  * image processing (e.g. Images.jl, ImageView.jl), which still changes,
> but has quite impressive functionality already
>  * deep learning (e.g. Mocha.jl, Strada.jl, Boltzmann.jl) - fast, full
> functional, easy to use and modify libraries (compare to frameworks in C++
> or Theano, for example)
>  * concurrent, parallel and distributed programming (core Julia) - far
> behind Python or R, probably comparable with Erlang

I find this statement highly surprising.. wander if you meant to reverse
this.. My quant friend who had worked for years in Python had trouble
parallelizing Python code (may be resolved now..). I'm not familiar with R,
but Python has the GIL and associated problems. I also thought Erlang was
best-in-class (for concurrent, not "parallel")..

@Malmaud About "Mux is the most mature and supported webapp framework at
this point." I should check out, but got excited about http://escher-jl.org/

Are you saying that Escher may just be immature at this point? I understood
it was high/higher level [than Mux], but compatibility between browsers
(e.g. to Safari) not a given yet. I assume, that is a JavaScript generation
issue, while Mux doesn't even have that(?) and assume you need to provide
all your client-side "content" yourself?

@Anthoff "The JuMP package is just phenomenal", yes, that I heard and JuMP
is what had in mind. And I understand it's pure Julia, while it "currently
supports a number of open-source and commercial solvers".

Back to "best in the class libraries, you probably won't find many". In
many cases at least, people do not care if pure Julia libraries are
available. Often just having libraries for relevant things/wrappers for
libraries in C/C++ etc., that they can build on is great. From that
perspective, I'm very optimistic Julia is very usable for all kinds of
stuff already. For those in the Java/Scala world, I'm less sure about
reusing that, I know you can with JavaCall.jl, but understand there are
bugs and limitations to it.

 * GPU computing (see JuliaGPU organization) - pretty convenient,