There has been a lot of discussion about this in the past few weeks

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/julia-users/ScwXMfQIBGs/wD1HTXeZBQAJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/julia-users/fNisYpMdZ6o/DvFaQi_ZBAAJ

TL;DR, yes, it is possible, but it takes some care since it's violating a
fairly well-entrenched assumption about how arrays behave.