UTF-16 was earlier (strictly speaking UCS-2) and Windows adopted it (and
also used elsewhere..). UTF-8 is almost in all cases better (except in
East-Asian languages, but not even there, if you use, something HTML (or I
guess XML..), that has has lots of ASCII for tags etc.):

http://utf8everywhere.org/

--
Palli.