On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 12:51:21 PM UTC, Sisyphuss wrote:

> The two-language problem refers to prototyping with one slow dynamic
> language and rewrite it with a fast static language for the final product.

Yes, but there is one other two (or more..) language "thing" (I wouldn't
call it a "problem", would you?):

People using Python/Numpy, MATLAB, etc. are used to having to reimplement a
tiny part of their code (or not so..?) in C. [Often you reuse those
solutions (or pure ones) and to not even see a two language problem.]

In Julia (and new languages in general), theoretically, most code could be
only in Julia, but practically you reuse slow (or fast..) libraries in
other languages. That seems to be a great thing to me! Maybe I'm in
minority, as I've found it difficult to "convert" people, but I can say,
that seems to be changing..

Do you people consider it a hurdle to call, say using PyCall or whatever
(do usres need to know (too..) much else than "Python and the relevant to
me library" exists?)? Are wrappers (using PyCall) preferred or even
reimplementiong stuff in pure Julia?

If you are only reusing libraries, you do not have to know (much about) the
other languages, but still, you might have to/want to (end up) maintain
those libraries.. I forsee that, in many cases a permanent "solution" (or
"problem" if you will). Do you think for most things, calling other
languages, to be a stop-gap solution?

--
Palli.