On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 11:12:44 PM UTC-4, Spencer Russell wrote:

> 1. What solver is appropriate for this sort of problem? (or should I just
> go with a spring-force algorithm like in GraphLayout.jl?)

That depends very directly on the precise formulation for the objective
function. If you could sketch out what it might look like algebraically
then we can give better suggestions.

> 2. (JuMP Specific) - Should I specify my known positions as model
> variables with equality constraints, or just normal julia variables that
> show up in my objective function?

In the case of nonlinear optimization, it may make the solver's job easier
if you avoid equality constraints and substitute in the known values
directly.