Sorry to bother you again, but I still do have 2 issues:
using label="x<sup>x" for example works fine as long as I just plot in the
browser, but when trying to use savefig it's telling me
(julia.exe:5956): Pango-WARNING **: pango_layout_set_markup_with_accel:
Error on line 1 char 31: Element 'markup' was closed, but the currently
open element is 'sup'

The second issue is that using label="x<sup>{\gamma<tab>}" is just printing
x^{gamma} where gamma is actually written and not the sign!?