Hello everyone,
I started using Julia recently and am very pleased with the many options I
am given to write code.
Now I want to translate a toolbox I wrote in MATLAB to Julia (It's about
MRI reconstruction).

There are often lots of options in my function arguments, something which I
handled in a quite ugly way in Matlab, for example:
A function which loads an image takes in a filename and varargin, where
varargin can be certain counters I need to construct a matrix from binary
data.
If no varargin is supplied, the function calls another function which will
load these counters from a seperate header file.
If they are supplied, it expects them to be correct and in the right order
to function.

Now in Julia I have the option to specify all the variables needed in the
arguments, and give them default values.
The default, however, depends on the file which I am loading - if the extra
arguments are not supplied, I would call the other function which gives me
the defaults.

Does anyone know an elegant way to handle this in Julia?
I thought of making keyword arguments which I could all set to 0. Then I
can check that at the beginning of the function and load the defaults if
necessary. But that seems ugly to me.

I put some example code here:
https://gist.github.com/timlod/7bb82e4796dd6404ccfa

If this is too vague, I'll try to concretise it more :)
Thanks,
Tim