I still think the Julia way matches better to reality. You can go up to a
kid and ask "can you draw me a cow?", and they draw it, and later ask "can
you show me the cow?" and they'll show it to you. If you're standing right
there (i.e. using the iterative REPL at its highest scope) you'll see it
just cause you're standing there.

For many longer codes, I don't want to see all of the plots. Some longer
calculations may generate hundreds of plots. I want those plotted and
saved, not displayed. And I think it's safe to say that if someone is
running something non-iterative (i.e. a script where displaying is off by
default) they don't want it to throw a bunch of junk to the screen, just
what they ask for.

(In fact, one of the biggest issues I see with newcomers running compiled
MATLAB batch scripts is the fact that they don't tell it to close every
plot at the bottom of the script. Thus the scripts keep running because
they accidentally have windows open... even though you can't see them. This
causes infinite runtimes and having to cancel scripts.)

While I agree Julia is not perfect, this is something that MATLAB has
trained people to think the unintuitive way (and it causes problems when it
doesn't work, like in the batch scripts), not the other way around.