I was printing information from each worker, and seeing the worker number
increase. But, when I actually check nworkers, the number stays at 3. So, I
was incorrect about the number of workers increasing. Rather, because I am
adding and removing workers in the outer loop, the worker id is increasing.
However, I do still have issues with speed, where it is slower to use pmap
and run in parallel. I am not currently seeing the open files issues, but
am running again to see if I can recreate that problem. In any case, for
speed, it might be that too much memory is being copied to pass to each
worker. Is there a way to restrict what is copied? For example, some values
are const; can I somehow give this information to pmap?