So I may have figured it out.

According to here <https://github.com/JuliaLang/pyjulia/issues/51>, one
needs to:

   1. Tag PyCall.jl at v1.3.0
   2. Use the pull request from benmoran
   <https://github.com/benmoran/pyjulia/tree/master/julia>

Tagging is accomplished by navigating to the PyCall.jl package directory
and running git checkout v1.3.0.
I wasn't sure how to install the pull request, so I overwrite the only
changed file, core.py
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/benmoran/pyjulia/master/julia/core.py>,
in the pyjulia package source using benmoran's version. The installed
package location can be found in python:

```
import julia
julia.__file__
```

The error has gone away. Hopefully it continues to work!